Sunday, July 27, 2008

Blackhawk Farms Race Report


Blackhawk Farms Race Report
Vol. 3, #4
Blackhawk Farms Raceway, South Beloit, IL. - July 26, 2008

After a great 4th of July weekend at Road America, I really wanted to get back on the track between that event and the Gateway round in mid August. There were a few track day options but I thought racing at Blackhawk Farms either Saturday or Sunday would be a better to continue working on my race craft. Fortunately this weekend worked out for Troy as well so we decided to head over and compete on Saturday.

Blackhawk Farms is actually the closest track to us, about a three hour drive, so we headed out at 4am to be there by 7am. The coolest thing about racing at Blackhawk is that there are so many Buell racers that compete there, both amateurs and experts. It’s a great opportunity to compare notes, get ideas, ask questions and race with and against friends.

I hadn’t raced at Blackhawk since earlier in the season when I had mechanical issues so I was anxious to get out there at full song to see where I was at against some of the strongest competitors I face.

Both practice sessions went well but it was going to be a hot day. I visited with the Pirelli tire vendor to get their tire pressure recommendations for the temperature, made the adjustments and then I felt I was ready to race. Both my races were late in the afternoon so I had several hours of down time which let me catch up on my missed rest and time to get plenty of water down as well.

Race #1 - Thunderbike
This is a highly competitive class and one that just about every Buell racer competes in since Buell Motor Company pays contingency money through 5th place. Because of registering that morning I was gridded in the back row so I had my work cut out for me.

Unfortunately I was a little late on the start and immediately had to play catch up. The laps went by quickly and I had a few good battles especially with a particular Ducati racer but a mental misstep in the Bus Stop corner put me behind the eight ball. Fortunately I didn’t run off the track but I totally blew the corner which caused me to have to refocus to get back into the race.

My overall finish of 7th was pretty good considering my mistake and the fact that most of the guys racing here are racing on their home track and know it a lot better than I do.

Race #2 - Lightweight Formula 40
After a much better start this race went much smoother with no mistakes! This race is a combination of three classes, LW F-40, 125 GP and Ultra Lightweight Superbikes so there are lots of folks on the track which adds to the competition. Most of the time you really don’t know if you’re racing with someone in your class or not.

My confidence was much higher and I ran through the corners at higher speeds getting my knee down and generally feeling a lot better at competitive speed.

My final place in this class was 5th but the bigger issue is I’m getting more and more comfortable on the bike again so now I’m ready to start marching through the field toward higher finishes!!

Stay tuned!!

No comments: